Navigation lights, a fog horn, two screws at the rear, a bilge pump and an exhaust mounted above the waterline. With the exception of a rudder, the German Amphicar had all the fittings needed for sailing.
Changing course in water was accomplished by steering the front wheels, as on the road. Needless to say, this was far from ideal. It was neither an efficient boat nor a particularly good car. The Amphicar was not very comfortable and its tall bodywork made handling somewhat unpredictable. The Amphicar could reach a top speed of approximately 100 km/h on land and 12 km/h on water. In spite of their poor sailing qualities, some Amphicars did cross the English Channel.
The Amphicar was designed by the German engineer Hans Trippel, who was already building amphibious vehicles for the German army during the Second World War. In 1959 he introduced the Eurocar, the first amphibious car intended for the public, with a rear-mounted Austin A35 engine. Production started two years later and the car was renamed the Amphicar. It was equipped with a Triumph Herald engine. Some 4,000 Amphicars were produced until 1967.