Detroit Electric Clear Vision Brougham

The phrase ‘Clear Vision’ in this Detroit Electric’s name refers to the extra flip-up windscreen, which afforded the minimum of protection in rainy weather, ensuring good vision on the road.

It is interesting to note the dual controls and levers; the car could be driven from both the front and the back seats. The batteries are stored in the boot at the rear of the car.

The 160 km range was very competitive so it was not surprising that the Detroit Electric became one of the market leaders in electric cars in the US at the beginning of the 20th century. Around 1910 the annual production was approximately 1,500 cars.

Unlike most manufacturers of electric cars, Detroit Electric managed to hold out until the mid 1930s, thanks to the production of delivery vans for bakers and milkmen.

What else is there to see? Exhibitions