Joswin Town Car
This rare German Joswin exudes pure luxury.
Note the special finish on the body panels, the finely executed door handles and the ‘opera windows’, through which you can view the lavishly decorated interior, finished in brocade, rosewood and ivory.
The car started off as a Mercedes and was built in 1913. In the early 1920s it was acquired by Josef Winsch of Berlin who, under the name of Joswin (a contraction of his first and last name), fitted surplus aero engines in Mercedes cars. Winsch mounted a 7.2-litre Mercedes aircraft engine in this car and had the coachwork built by Szawe of Berlin.
In ca. 1924 the Joswin ended up in the United States, where it was even used in a couple of movies. From 1929 on, the car was on display in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. For years the car was believed to have been owned by the German Emperor Wilhelm II and the King of Bulgaria. The Louwman Museum acquired the exceptional Joswin in 2015.
The marque only lasted from 1921 to 1924. Production numbers were very low and this is probably the only Joswin left in the world.