4.7 out of 5 on Google
0

Lanchester 28-HP laundaulette

This Lanchester looks rather unusual because the 3.5-litre, six-cylinder engine is placed between the two front seats and also because the styling was of secondary importance.

The car was delivered to the owner of a coalmine in the North of England in 1910.

In the twenties the spacious car ended up at a local garage, where it was used as a taxi and for transport of the local football team. The car was finally abandoned at the back of the garage among the rubbish.

The derelict Lanchester was discovered in 1953 and made roadworthy once again. The car was acquired by the Louwman Museum in 2001. It was awarded first prize in its category at the concours at Paleis Het Loo in The Netherlands in 2005.

In spite of their unorthodox appearance, these cars that were built by Frederick Lanchester of Coventry in England were bought by the upper class and even by royals for their high quality, comfort and advanced technology. Lanchester produced few new models but continually improved on the older ones, even allowing existing clients to upgrade their cars.

At the beginning of the thirties the factory was taken over by BSA. The Lanchester marque disappeared in the 1950s.

What else is there to see? Exhibitions
0

Your Cart is Empty