Porsche 356B 1600 Cabriolet ‘Rijkspolitie’
Between 1962 and 1994 motorway Police Porsches were a familiar sight, respected, admired and feared by some.
The police constables of this elite squad received extensive training before they were allowed out in the Porsches. The car in the museum is one of the first series of 12 (of a total of 40) supplied to the ‘Porsche Squad’, established in 1962. The car, with callsign ‘ALEX 2707’, remained in service until 1966 when it was stripped of its police ‘regalia’ and sold as an ordinary 356B. It was acquired in 2004 by a Belgian enthusiast who brought the car back to its original Police form. Restoration lasted until 2012 due to the search for original police equipment. As far as we know, this is one of the three remaining series 1 Motorway Police Porsches.
The 1948 356 was the first car Porsche manufactured in series. It was designed by Ferry Porsche, son of Ferdinand, and made use of Volkswagen technology. The Porsche 356, that won numerous rallies and long distance races, was manufactured until 1965, when it was replaced by the legendary Porsche 911.